First, let's go over a quick primer on what mold is. Every kind of mold is a fungus, just like mushrooms and lichens, for example. The mold that is toxic to humans is relatively rare in the fungi world, meaning most kinds you find in your house or business aren't dangerous. However, some toxic molds are dangerous, so any mold you find indoors must be cleaned up and completely removed.
The best plan is to contact a black mold removal service High Point NC company to get rid of the mold if it is more than 36 square inches.in area. When you see any sizable mold growth, though, it's smart to reach out for cleanup assistance from mold damage cleanup. Certified technicians can help you make sure there is no hidden mold in other spots around the structure using tools such as temperature sensors, moisture detectors and more.
Before you contact mold removal services, the first step is to prevent the mold from getting worse. Do this by turning off any HVAC systems. Then, work to stop the moisture source that brought the mold in the first place. For instance, make sure roof leaks are no longer flowing into your attic and restrict the flow of any rainwater that has penetrated your basement. The next step is to contain the problem. You might block off the area in question with plastic sheeting, for example.
Should you get a professional service to help or can you complete the cleanup by yourself? Beyond considering the extent of the issue, consider any aggravating health issues that make you prone to risk.
Once you've made the decision, there are vital things to do in either direction. If you're doing the work, start with gathering proper safety gear and cleaning supplies. You'll need non-ventilated goggles, clothing items that are easy to wash and that cover your extremities, and mold-safe masks and gloves. You will also want new disposable rags and a disposable tarp or two that can help catch mold spores as you remove them. Health officials agree that you should not leave unpainted drywall that is moldy anywhere because it can't be cleaned well enough. A note on cleaning with bleach: Skip it. Bleach is less effective than other alternatives and often doesn't remediate mold thoroughly and all its spores completely. Bleach also puts off toxic fumes, particularly if it's ever mixed with substances such as Windex, which contains ammonia. You can get better alternatives at most big box stores.
Chances are that if you're concerned enough about mold problems to do online research, you need mold removal technicians service. If you choose to hire a mold removal service, look for one local to your area because different kinds of mold thrive in different geographic locations and you want experts who know the perfect mold damage repair strategies to remove the ones you located in your indoor environment. The more local, the better.
Before you hire any expert, check that they are licensed and registered properly and that they are certified by watchdogs such as the Contractor Connection, Restoration Industry Association and the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration. You might also make sure the company knows and follows federal mold cleanup recommendations whether your mold is in a business or a residence.
You should remove any mold growth you find to stop further harm, and do it right away. If you don't, mold growths will continue to feast on your structure and can destroy your possessions. Some molds, those that release mycotoxins, can also cause major health risks ranging from brain damage. Mycotoxins can be particularly harmful to infants, children, and anyone with a compromised immune system .
The safest way to mitigate your mold growth is to get mold damage cleanup assistance. Don't hesitate.